Saturday, July 23, 2011

Level Up: Mighty Morphin Power Rangers (SNES)


Power Rangers, I am so sorry. As I’ve said in the review of the Genesis game, they are one of the biggest figures in my childhood. And yet, the first time I talk about them, I bash the game they’re in? As much as I know it wasn’t their fault, I think they deserve better. So, to make it up, here’s the good game I was talking about: Mighty Morphin’ Power Rangers for the Super Nintendo Entertainment System.

I am glad to say that this is NOT a fighting game like the other one and rather a beat-em-up. The Power Rangers (like the Ninja Turtles, another childhood icon) are perfect for this type of game. However, if you play this one, you might notice something a little different that I couldn’t quite put my finger on until the Happy Video Game Nerd pointed it out: this game is played on a single plain when fighting, no walking up or down. It may seem like that would be highly noticeable, but it’s surprisingly really subtle (at least in my opinion) because the rest of the game was based on it.

Now, because of this, I feel like this game should be called a beat-em-up platformer. Of course, this isn’t the only reason: there are other moves you can do that I’ve only seen in platformers. For example, there will be times when your ranger needs to bounce off the wall, as in Batman NES or Buster’s Hidden Treasure (and if you’ve heard those reviews, than you know I think that ability is awesome). You’ll also have to grab under certain platforms to advance in levels, something that is very well done in this game. As a matter of fact, I think developers Natsume might have even put a little bit more effort into these sections than the combat (which takes up most of the time). This means that most of the game is a quite easy (this was based on a “kids” show after all) but still really well done and super fun.

The story is your typical Power Rangers stuff: Rita Repulsa sends monsters to attack earth and the Power Rangers have to stop them from… I dunno, freaking people out? This time though, there’s much less plot involved than the Genesis version. I don’t know why, but it seems less is more. I partially think it’s because when you keep things this simple, you don’t mishandle anything, like way the Green Ranger part was clumsily done previously. This gets me to my next topic.

The earliest release date for this game is late 1994. At that point on the show, Tommy Oliver had become the Green Ranger. However all we have is the original team. It’s possible that the game makers just wanted the first 5, but Tommy is in the Genesis one, which came out at roughly the same time (and a level based on when he joined the team where you have to fight him could have been good). I’d honestly think that, since they were making this for a show that was still on TV for “kids”, you’d want to make it based on what was currently going on, not to confuse them or so it would feel as current as the show. But even Zordon and Alpha don’t appear in this game. However Bulk and Skull are seen at the end. I just don’t know what they were thinking.

To talk about the graphics, they actually look consistent this time around. However, not even comparing them with the Genesis version, I have to say they look great. They have a cool semi-cartoon style that, while still resembling the actors, makes them fit very well in an SNES game. Though, I like how EVERY ranger looks muscled to the max when they morph.

However, it’s the sounds I really enjoyed. To be fair, I will compare the theme songs again. Here’s the original *plays for a bit* and here’s the in game version *plays for a bit*. I’m surprised at how well that translated to the system. But honestly, every level music is just as awesome. One last note about the sounds; as I’ve said in The Death and Return of Superman, a punching sound effect is key, and this one has two great ones, one for civilian mode and one for ranger form.

There. That was the good Mighty Morphin’ Power Rangers game. Unfortunately, this is one of few the Rangers in general will ever have, which is sad since it’s so short, easy and a forgettable experience for these reasons. Because of this, I have to take off a couple of points, but that doesn’t mean I recommend this game any less. If you’re a Power Rangers fan, than you should probably look it up. And if you’re just an avid fan of the SNES, this is one of those games that fit the system perfectly in my opinion. I give Mighty Morphin Power Rangers for the Super Nintendo 8 level out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment