Sunday, September 2, 2012

Level Up: Ninja Crusaders


So we know Ninjas are often awesome, but occasionally you’ll get a stinker that just used the name Ninja as a marketing gimmick (Ninja Bread Man leaps to mind) and you have to take the risk. That’s what I thought when I randomly stumbled upon today’s game. I had never heard of it or even the company on the label (Sammy Studios) so I took a chance. Let’s look at my random find and continue 8-bit Ninja month *GONG* with Ninja Crusaders for the Nintendo Entertainment System.
Last week, when I talked about Shadow of the Ninja, I had compared it a lot to Ninja Gaiden.  While I found the two games comparable, I felt it was only because it was also an 8-bit Ninja game on the NES. But at no point did I feel like Shadow of the Ninja was trying to be Ninja Gaiden. That’s not the case with Ninja Crusaders: it very much feels like a knock off even from just looking at the game. The sprite style looks like they just tried to copy Ryu, but didn’t quite succeed. Furthermore, I mentioned that Ryu was bright while the enemies are dark in my review of Ninja Gaiden 2. This is not the case with Ninja Crusaders, as the player character is a dark red, but the enemies range from dark blue and brown to bright pink, so that contrast doesn’t exist.  Even the animations, poses and backgrounds are all done in the same manner as Ninja Gaiden. It really starts feeling like The Asylum started publishing video games.
The game play is… second rate. Don’t get me wrong, it’s still “left-to-right-hit-the-enemy” goodness, but there are some things just off about it. The jumping, for example, fells more like floating up and down in the air. Oddly enough, swimming feels more like you’re jumping onto water, as you sink about as quickly as you would if you were stepping on a memory foam mattress. Hit detection really feels iffy too, as I’m never sure if I’m hitting the enemies. It’s just all a bunch of things like this that makes me wonder it’s just half-assed or if they didn’t know how a really good game feels.
A common complaint (among the 3 other reviews I could actually find) is that this game is unfairly hard due to the player character dying with one hit. This not only goes against the inverse laws of Ninjas, but turns it from an action game to more of a memory test. Trial and error games aren’t inherently bad (look at Battletoads) but this is too chaotic, and only being able to take one hit only allows you inch forward.
That’s the last negative thing I’m really going to say about this game, as there are good things. For example, like in Shadow the Ninja, you can find other weapons to switch to. There are 4 different ones, which I can’t really list (a mix of the sub-par sprites and my lack of knowledge of Japanese weapons), but it does help you tailor the game to how you want to play it. For example, I enjoy the whip, because with only one chance to make a mistake, I enjoy taking down my enemies from as far as possible. Others might enjoy the stronger bow weapon that will take down most enemies in few hits. Another thing to consider is that the weapon you choose will also allow you to play as one of 4 animals. Each weapon corresponds to a different animal, so you may want to test both out and see which weapon suits you best for both cases.
“But Leo” you might be asking “can’t I just change weapons when I want a different animal?” I recommend not doing that. First off, weapons are found on the field, so the weapon you want might not be available at a given time, or you might switch to weapon that you’re not good with and may not be able to switch back for a while. Secondly, every time you run into the icon for the weapon you already have, you get an extra life. Since getting hit once kills you you’ll want to stock up as much as you can.
Ninja Crusaders isn’t really a great game, but it’s not really a bad game either. Perhaps it’s just my habit of being too nice while reviewing things, but for an obvious Ninja Gaiden rip-off made by some company I’ve never heard of, this could have been a lot worse. It feels off, but it’s not broken. It gets hard at some points, but not due to poor programming. It doesn’t get my blood pumping, but I’m neither bored nor angry after it. Though it doesn’t come highly recommended, I’m also not going to say to stay away from this game. Just feels a little cheap, so if you can deal with that, go for it maybe. I give Ninja Crusaders for the NES 6 levels out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment