Saturday, August 2, 2014

Level Up: Metroid Prime

Once again, August is upon us and it’s time for my theme. This year, I decided to look at something that’s been sincerely lacking in this show: women. Now, much like Ninjas from last year, I have talked about games where women are playable, but very few where they are the only choice. The only one that comes to my mind off the top of my head is Lady Sia. So this August is Femme-month, where I will be looking at 4 games starring female protagonists. And of course, much like Ninja Gaiden last year, the obvious choice needs to come first, so we are looking at Metroid Prime, originally for the Nintendo GameCube, but I’ll be playing it on the Wii as part of the Metroid Prime Trilogy collection.
Metroid was never a series that was ever high on my radar. Not because I thought it was overrated like Zelda, but just I never heard much about it for the longest time. The first generation of games I remember paying attention to was the 5th one, and there wasn’t a Metroid game released on the N64 (for the better, I suppose). Despite knowing about the Metroid-vania game play style and it being one of my favorite variations on platforming, Metroid Prime was the first Metroid game I played, and still that wasn’t until the collection came out on the Wii.
So as a first impression to the series- HOLY CRAP IS THIS GAME AWESOME. Like I just said, it was probably better that this game waited a generation. On the N64, it might have been a platformer, but by the GameCube, first person shooters were starting to get big. Metroid was re-envisioned as a first person game, and that might have added a whole new level of immersion to the discovery. The element is there in 2D, but seeing it from the point of view of the character gives you a whole new experience.
Though the main attraction to me is the exploration, I do need to talk about the fighting. The variety and scope of enemies is amazing, and they ease you into the more difficult and frustrating ones. You get a variety of weapons and upgrades, and eventually learning how to switch on the fly is an essential skill. Of course, if you’re having trouble with an enemy, you can also switch visor modes, either to help you see weak points or use the scan function to read their database entry.
I could go on, as there are a lot of little things that make the game play fun, but it would take far too long (perhaps I’ll explain a bit more on the sequels). From the great maps, to the intuitive combat, to the range of gadgets you get, the game play is simply great.
The story is as basic as it gets, not just in what it has to say, but the way it tells it. It starts with Samus on a bounty hunting mission when she is struck and loses her equipment (a convenient reason for having lost them between games). She follows her targets, the Space Pirates, to a nearby planet. After that, it’s just hunting on the planet and figuring out some mysteries that pop up. It leaves a lot to be desired in Samus’ motivations, but people who like immersive new worlds will enjoy this.
But again, it’s not just what this says, but how it tells it. There’s no voice dialog in this game except the occasion computer message. Samus’ reactions are done through body language, and though she’s kind of a blank slate silent protagonist here, it does make the game more of what you want it to be. But what really gets me are the music and sound cues, along with the short scenes from discovering a new area. It pretty much says “look at what you found, now enjoy exploring!” There’s a sense of wonder put into this new world, which sucked me right in. In a Metroidvania game, that is exactly what you’d want.
Metroid Prime is an amazing game that I would recommend to almost anyone, as there is such a variety offered. That being said, I don’t think it is a perfect game: the story is a little lacking in motivation (at least for someone new to the series) and near the end you’re required to do this big annoying “treasure hunt” that I feel ruins the flow (you should want to explore, not be forced into it). Those are the only things really worth mentioning, and they are pretty easy to look over. Awesome space shooter based around exploration, what else can I say? I give Metroid Prime 9.5 levels out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment